01 April 2010

catching the prayer wave...part 2

a year ago almost to the day, i caught my first prayer wave.  i remember that evening vividly even though it could be noted that nothing too remarkable happened.  but in all reality, something remarkable did happen in my heart. to refresh my memory i read my blog post from last year's prayer wave.  God moves in mysterious, creative, calm, vibrant, still, and loud ways.  I really cannot do justice in describing anything the Lord does, but He always impresses, surprises, delights, and touches me in deep meaningful ways, that again I can usually never adequately put into words.

i walked around my neighborhood in a spirit of contemplation and prayer, trying to be open, and let God stir my thoughts to where, who, what, He wanted me to pray for.  this time around i experienced this overwhelming feeling of sadness and loss.  i can't even quite touch, even now, what the feelings were all about.  i felt distant.  there were about twenty-three different things on my mind.  but towards the end of my walk i came to the same conclusion i did last year.  people are hurting and people are lost.  more than anything people need love.

In John 13, Jesus says, "a new commandment i give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

This is a really simple and explicit command.  love. love is how the world will know followers of Jesus.  I think on this and I conclude that everything is really simple. but then i wonder how do we, how can we, show others they are loved?  what does love look like in real life? we celebrate, commemorate, reflect on the ultimate demonstration in love this weekend.  the ultimate demonstration of love was the sacrifice of a precious extraordinary life.   i've experienced the ultimate love. now then how do i live love? how do i even begin to demonstrate the ultimate love to others?

No comments:

cultivating compassion//practicing colossians 3:12 (part I)

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion , kindness, humility, gentleness and pati...