06 March 2010

Healing my Image of GOD.

"Christianity happens when men and women experience the unwavering trust and reckless confidence that comes from knowing the God of Jesus." ~Brennan Manning

All things that make up a true Christian life are all rooted in an authentic and experiential knowledge of God.  God is Love and freely extends His love to us.  Love calls forth love.  Do I really believe God is fond of me, that He loves me?  Am I living my life in a way that shows God I love Him?

There are so many characteristics I attribute to God that are not Him.

It is hard to realize and admit to myself that as far along into the Christian life that I am, I do not really know God.  All the time I could've spent really getting to know Him, I've instead spent doctoring an image of Him that isn't really real.  

Anne Lamott says you can be sure you've created God in your own image, when he hates all the same people you do.  I'd say the same is true when you start thinking everything you think is what God thinks.  So when I don't like myself, I safely assume God does not like me either.

We should allow ourselves the luxury of letting ourselves be loved by God.  This might be a good starting point...heading toward healing my image of God.

No comments:

cultivating compassion//practicing colossians 3:12 (part I)

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion , kindness, humility, gentleness and pati...