23 August 2009

This Week: A Thick Prayer Focus!

2 Samuel 7:18
"Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said:
"Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"


The Lord is near to all who call upon Him.

As we enter into this last week of August, this sort of end of summer feel is in the air, and in that we are being challenged to really enter into prayer. Ed shared some great nuggets on the topic of prayer today, challenging us to walk into a new normal in our communion/relationship with God.

Specifically what struck me was how if we really think about it, the only people God relates to are unworthy ones. So often I let the fact that I am so not worthy to commune with the God of the Universe deter me from ever really praying. I mean to really sit before the Lord...and pray. But in all honesty, what could I possibly do to make myself worthy of God? Absolutely nothing. It seems silly that I've let that prideful sort of belief hinder my communion with Him.

So this week I am pressing into prayer. I am going to ruthlessly unhurry my life, I am going to do my best to sit down before the Lord, much like David, and just commune with Him. I long to be quiet before Him, and just listen...I want to soak in His presence.

mmm...Lord, this week I ask that as we press into prayer, You would meet us. Clear the distractions, cause us to be focused, zoned in on You! Speak Lord...please move in our hearts, our lives, our church, our city, our country, and our world...

No comments:

cultivating compassion//practicing colossians 3:12 (part I)

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion , kindness, humility, gentleness and pati...