12 July 2014

love your neighbor as yourself//getting over "me"

 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” ~Mark 12:31

the greatest of things that God calls us to, and how ridiculously i fail.

 simply because i am constantly consumed with me.  at any moment of any given day you will find me thinking about myself and my problems and my dreams and my discomforts and my searching for making my life better.

blech!  it sound's awful, but it's true.  i am so incredibly selfish.  i'm sickened by the amount of time and energy i spend on how i feel.  as i pour into God's Word more and more, i grow increasingly convicted by my "me" ways.

i need to get over it.  i need to remember that i am not the second, let alone first important thing in my life.

the more i think and meditate on His Word, the more I am inclined to think beyond me.

and it gets me thinking and living toward this idea of others.  it opens my mind and heart to a world other than me.

a world where others are hurting, and longing, and praying, and wondering, and asking, and are hungry and so desperately in need of hope.

this calling on our lives, this second most important thing we are implored to do is really not so hard.

"love your neighbor as yourself."

well, we know i love myself.  can i love another in a similar way?

i know i don't need to look far to find my neighbor.  to find someone in need of love, a big God-kind of love, those people are everywhere i turn.

am i loving them?

am i loving them in a way that doesn't scream, "look at me!"?

i'm so selfish, that when i am being loving or kind, somewhere inside of me i am hoping someone will see and notice and think about how great i am.

isn't it an awful kind of selfishness?  i get so involved in "me" that i can't even forget about myself when i am trying to love my neighbor as myself.  so, in all honesty, i recognize that i am so far from living out this "love your neighbor as yourself" thing.

but i think it's something i can do.

i want to be in a place where the only attention and approval i crave is from God Himself.

i want to care only about Him seeing what i am doing and knowing i only do what i do to please Him.

i want integrity and humility to be the words that define the essence of who i am.

i think i always thought these are the kind of things you just become when you decide to follow Christ wholeheartedly.

but in reality, like with anything, it takes work.  you have to go to school and be committed to hard work, diligent in classes and disciplined for years in order to earn that degree.

the same is true for becoming a professional, getting a tight bod, achieving excellence in any arena.  it takes dedication and hard work.  it moves beyond the decision to achieve and become these things.

there's work involved.  and thankfully, with the guidance, love, grace, and wisdom of the Good Teacher, it is possible.

the more i invest in a wholehearted pursuit of Him, the likelihood lessons that i am my first concern at any given moment.

and that is a good thing.  a very good thing.  because at this point in my life, i'm getting quite a bit sick of me and my supposed needs.  i am learning that i need less than i thought.  i am learning that when i look at my neighbor their needs are more important than mine.

so today i pray for my neighbor, the kaur, in indonesia. i pray for the ones across the world that suffer, the ones next door, and those that cross my path.  i pray that somehow, some way, today they experience God's love in a radical and intimate way.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

CALLED AND CHOSEN BY STEVE FINNELL

Matthew 22:14 For many are called , but few are chosen."

Definition of called: Invited or summoned.

Definition of chosen: Those who are eligible or suited for election. Elected and chosen are synonymous.

WHO ARE THE CALLED?

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Every person who has heard the gospel has been called. The call is not limited to a select few who have been predestined for salvation.

WHO ARE THE CHOSEN (THE ELECTED)?

The chosen are the ones who are obedient to the call of the gospel.
The chosen are those who have 1. Faith: John 3:16

The chosen are those who 2. Repent: Acts 3:19 (Repent means to make the commitment to turn from sin and turn toward God).

The chosen are those who 3. Confess: Roman 10:9-10

The chosen are those who are 4. Baptized in water: Acts 2:38

The chosen are not those who were supposedly, unconditionally selected for salvation. The chosen have to be suited for election.

THE CALLED WHO ARE NOT CHOSEN.

Matthew 22:2-3 "the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. 3 And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come.

Many have had the gospel preached to them, but of their own free-will have rejected the call. If men reject the gift of eternal life by rejecting Jesus as Lord and Savior; then they have been called, but not chosen.

Matthew 22:11-14 "But when the king came to look over the dinner quests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, 12 and he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?" 13 Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' 14 For many are called but few are chosen."

This wedding quest was disinvited. He was called but not chosen ; because he was not suitable to be chosen. Improper clothing was a big deal.

Galatalians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

DO YOU HAVE THE PROPER WEDDING CLOTHES TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

When you stand before the KING OF KINGS are you going to be speechless when He asks; where are your wedding clothes? WHAT WILL YOU SAY WHEN HE ASKS YOU WHY YOU REJECTED IMMERSION IN WATER FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS. WHAT WILL YOUR ANSWER BE, WHEN JESUS ASKS YOU WHY YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD WITH BEING CLOTHED IN CHRIST?

MANY ARE CALLED BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN!
YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http//:steve-finnell.blogspot.com

cultivating compassion//practicing colossians 3:12 (part I)

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion , kindness, humility, gentleness and pati...