25 December 2012

Jesus & Christmas//A Red & Green Glow


I’m one of those people that loves Christmas, like really loves Christmas.  Before Thanksgiving I am listening to Christmas songs.  By Black Friday I’ve planned what Christmas show/movie I will watch when, the decorations are already down, and I am crafting my Christmas gift list.  And just a few days before Christmas, I am my truest self. Frantically trying to get all my last minute shopping. baking, and decorating done, all the while listening to Christmas music, watching Christmas specials, and obsessively checking my bank account to make sure I am still on track.

What happens to change every year is the part of Christmas that hits home for me.  Sometimes it’s a different song, or a portion of Scripture, or maybe a theme, a new recipe, or even a new movie.

Last year was special because I watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” for the first time with my mom on Christmas Eve.  I had my first taste of rum and eggnog, and I had my last Christmas with my beloved kitty.  Yesterday I found a picture of us together on Christmas morning, and I wept, thankful that it was a moment captured.

The year before, I loved the song, “This Christmas.”  My dad did too.  We were on a mission to find every version possible, determined to find the best one.  We’re still looking.  

In 2009, I started the tradition of reading “Little Women” every Christmas.  And I began awaking early before the rest of the family, curling up on the couch with a kitty, and watching Little Women, with hot coffee in hand, and the Christmas tree lit up.
The year before that, my mom and I began attending Christmas Eve services at  Journey.  I love the effort, and the unique way that church presents Christmas.  The first year this group of ladies performed a dance to “Timeless” by Kate Havnevik.  It was so beautiful.  I just remember being in awe, and to this day, I still remember each graceful move.  So much a demonstration of the grace of God shown in sending His Son to earth as a babe.

Pastor Ed always explores a different aspect of the story of the birth of Christ.  It is so non traditional, and I love it.  It opens my eyes to see the depth and the true feeling in this story.  It feels so real in the present, rather than just being a piece of history to be reviewed.

This year I am exploring new parts of Christmas.  I have been infatuated with “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”  For some reason, this song, this year, has affected a different part of me.  As I researched the history of the song, I had no idea it was introduced by Judy Garland in the musical Meet Me in St. Louis.  I love how important the song was for the soldiers serving in WWII.  I love that this is a Christmas Song that has special meaning, amongst many Christmas Carols with an even more special meaning.

This year I am also looking at the story of the birth of Christ differently.  I am ashamed to say, that as I was teaching my International students about the story of the birth of Christ, I failed to realize an important difference between the gospel of Luke’s telling, and the gospel of Matthew’s telling, in specific regard to the difference between the shepherd's story and the magi's story.  Perhaps I had realized it at one point or another, but I found myself lumping their two stories together when truly there are vast differences.  What I found to be so amazing in this story was the faith of the magi.  The shepherds, like Mary encountered an angel, well they even encountered a multitude of angels telling them of the birth of Christ.  While the magi, trusted the guidance of a star, and traveled thousands of miles to come and meet their Savior.  Their faith moved them in a significant way.  So amazing!

Today Christmas will be simple, as it almost always is.  A day spent at home, doing simple things, enjoying simple things.  Perhaps what marks this Christmas of 2012 is a little bit of sadness.  One can't help but think of the many precious lives lost recently.  Those far away in tragedy, and the ones nearest, while less tragic, still hold their own sadness.  But in sadness we can find comfort in who we still have around us, and in the One we celebrate.  His coming to earth, incomprehensibly as man.  His coming to earth to feed the hungry and satisfy the thirsty.  He came to bring us Words and Life.  That is something joyful to celebrate today and cherish.

No comments:

cultivating compassion//practicing colossians 3:12 (part I)

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion , kindness, humility, gentleness and pati...